- Images and Video
- The Gemini Image Gallery provides publication-quality images of astronomical objects (Legacy Images), striking facility images and broadcast-quality video, animations and timelapse sequences of telescope facilities (many in HD 1080 format).
- Gemini Podcasts
- Click the link to take you directly to the Gemini Podcast section in our image/video gallery.
- Become a friend of Gemini Observatory on Facebook.
- Press Releases and Science Highlights
- A complete list of Gemini press releases and frequent science highlights.
- GeminiFocus Newsletter
- Read the GeminiFocus newsletter (now quarterly) in PDF or e-reader format. Request to receive a copy of the limited print run of the review issue at the beginning of each year (for libraries and institutions) HERE.
- Gemini Gems
- Highlight top science results and stunning images from the twin 8-meter Gemini telescopes from 2002 to 2011.
- Facility Tours | Visitas al telescopio
- Gemini makes every effort to accommodate requests for educational and professional observatory tours. At least two weeks advance notice is required and we cannot provide tours for commercial (for-profit) tour companies. Other restrictions apply (such as age restrictions on Mauna Kea), for more details, and to request a tour, use one of the links above.
Downloadable Virtual Tour CD. This .zip file contains everything you need to run the tour as if from the CD.
398.7MB Not Lion Compatable.
Galileoscope Teachers Workshop for Journey Through the Universe Master Teachers.
Students of all ages eagerly gather around the first shipment of Galileoscopes in La Serena.
Education & Outreach
- Journey Through The Universe (Flagship Gemini North local outreach program)
- This annual education program at Gemini North engages our entire East Hawai‘i community - from students, teachers and families, to the public at-large with an intensive week of programming that includes: teacher workshops, classroom visits by astronomy researchers, public programs and lectures and family science nights.
- Overview of Journey through the Universe 2014 PDF 16MB
- Overview of Journey through the Universe 2013 PDF 40MB
- Overview of Journey through the Universe 2012 PDF 9.0MB
- Viaje al Universo and AstroDay Chile (Flagship Gemini South local outreach programs)
- These annual public events are led by the Gemini South outreach group and engage dozens of local Chilean astronomy research organizations in fun interactive activities, public events and family learning. For more information, please use the link above or contact the Chile Outreach Coordinator.
- Galileoscope Outreach
- Hawai‘i Island --- Chile
Both Gemini North and South have local outreach programing that features the International Year of Astronomy's Galileoscope. This is a high-quality optical telescope that Gemini is providing to local (Chile and Hawai'i) teachers and educators to share the universe with their students. To book an educator's workshop please click on the appropriate link above.
- StarLab Portable Planetaria
- Hawai‘i Island --- Chile
The four Gemini StarLab portable planetaria provide in-school and community educational programming on astronomy, navigation, light pollution and the cultural connections between the naked-eye sky and our host communities in Chile and Hawai‘i. For more information, and to learn how educators can borrow this equipment, please contact us using the following e-mail links: Hawai‘i Island --- Chile
- Gemini's version of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific's Family Astro program brings local families together in a friendly, safe and engaging learning environment in Hawai‘i and Chile. For details please contact us using the following e-mail links: Hawai‘i Island --- Chile
- Live From Gemini
- Engage your class in a live visit to the Gemini Control room and learn about recent discoveries, what it is like to work on the front-line of scientific research and ask questions of an astronomer. A Polycom (or compatible) video conferencing system is required to participate in this program and advance scheduling is required. For more information please use this e-mail link.
- A Spanish language publication of special interest for Chilean students and teachers, detailing the outreach programs at Gemini South. CUADERNILLO #1 CUADERNILLO #2.
- Conferences: Broadening Participation at Gemini
- The following links sample some of the conferences Gemini participates in that support broadening participation in the future astronomy workforce.
Mentoring '09- Promoting the concept of mentoring at all levels.
Women Engineers- Encouraging Women Engineers to participate in Astronomy.
Women in Astronomy- Increasing the diversity of the work force.